"personal data" is defined in the DPA as meaning any data from which the identity of a living individual can be determined, either by itself or with other data processed by the data controller; any information such as name and address, e mail address, telephone number and general contact details, personal data includes images on film (e.g. CCTV images), photographs and telephone voice recordings.
"processing" is defined in the DPA as meaning, in relation to information or data, obtaining, recording, or holding the information or data or carrying out any operation or set of operations on the information or data, including: (a) organisation, adaptation or alteration of the information or data; (b) retrieval, consultation or use of the information or data; (c) disclosure of the information or data by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available; or (d) alignment, combination, blocking, erasure or destruction of the information or data.
"sensitive personal data" is defined in the DPA as meaning personal data consisting of information as to:
• the racial or ethnic origin of the data subject;
• his political opinions;
• his religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature;
• whether he is a member of a trade union (within the meaning of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992);
• his physical or mental health or condition;
• his sexual life;
• the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence; or
• any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings.